Thank you, South Africa, for a fantastic 30 years of support.
TIQMS was established in September 1987 to meet a growing need for education and training in quality management and related fields. We started with “a bang” – arranging and organising a national Symposium – “Quality – A Strategy for Survival”. A few years later a second symposium was being arranged and we had already procured the key note speaker, Mr Jack Holmes from the UK, when we were requested to combine forces with other organisations to assist with the launch of SAQI.
Over the past 30 years TIQMS grew from being a Centre of Excellence located at the Technikon Pretoria to being a Company, in its own right. From the outset TIQMS focused on bringing expertise from industry and commerce to transfer knowledge and expertise to people in industry, commerce and public enterprises. We believe in practising what we preach, and in 2004, TIQMS management system was certified by BSI (British Standards Institute) to meeting the requirements of ISO 9001:2000. We have maintained our certification to ISO 9001 to this day, being certified to ISO 9001:2015 in March 2016 by TUV Rheinland. Our Director, David Stables has been the Director of TIQMS from the beginning.
Some of the high-lights over the past 30 years include:
- We developed and ran the first public Lead Quality Auditor training in 1987, which became the second Lead Auditor course to be SACQA/ SAATCA accredited;
- Wrote 2 text books: Implementing Quality Management Systems; Auditing Quality Management Systems, which at one stage were prescribed and used by 5 Universities in South Africa.
- Having a certified QMS ‘Expert’ with the IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) and the UNIDO (United Nations Industrial Development Organisation).
- Presented papers at
- 10 SAATCA Conferences,
- Several SASQ Conferences
- International Conference in Mauritius
- International Conference in Tripoli (Libya).
- Received the SA Society for Quality (SASQ) annual Quality Award, Pretoria Branch
- Were members of National Technical Committees (TC):
- Quality Management Systems – ISO 9000 family (TC 176);
- Environmental Management Systems – ISO 14000 family (TC 207);
- Social Responsibility – ISO 26000 (TC 100);
- Risk Management – ISO 31000 (TC 178)
- Represented South Africa for the writing of three international Standards:
- ISO 10015:1999, Quality management – Guidelines for training (1994 – 1999)
- ISO 19011:2011, Guidelines for auditing management systems (2008 – 2011)
- ISO 9001:2015, Quality management systems – requirements (2012 – 2015)
- Representative for the German Society for Quality (DGQ) translating and then presenting their Quality Officer (QB); Quality Manager (QM); Quality Auditor (QA) Quality Specialist (QS) qualifications.
- Representative to SA for the German Automotive Association – Quality Management Centre (VDA-QMC) in SA, to roll out ISO/TS 16949
- Responsible for facilitating the training and certification of internationally recognized 3rd Party QMS auditors for VDA 6.1, ISO/TS 16949:1999 & 2002 Editions in the Automotive field.
- Became the only non-OEM permanent member of the NAAMSA-SQA (National Association of Automotive Manufacturers of SA – Supplier Quality Assurance) Management Committee
- Represented Africa as one of four advisors to IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) & UNIDO (United Nations Industrial Development Organization) in Vienna, on development and deployment of Quality Management Systems to 53 countries in Africa for 2008 – 2012.
- Trained Lead Auditors from 24 Countries in Africa, on behalf of the German government (GTZ) in Nairobi, Kenya and Pretoria, South Africa.
- Trained Lead Auditors on behalf of the Arabic Development Bank in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Carried out research project on the “effectiveness of ISO/TS 16949 in the South African automotive industry” requested by the Dti, and ASCCI (Automotive Supply Chain Competitive Initiative) sponsored by UNIDO, published January 2015.
- Became an approved trainer for a German training organisation to assist with training a major client on Quality Management Systems techniques in South Africa.
- Assisted SABS Training with developing and presenting courses for the roll out of ISO 9001:2015 Awareness training (in Pretoria, Durban, Port Elizabeth and Cape Town), Transition training, Auditor Upgrade training, Train the Trainer training (2015).
- Became Chairman of the National Technical Committee for Quality Assurance and Quality Management matters (SABS NTC 176), 2017.
We have been serving clients from all types of organisations, whether through our public courses or running courses in-house. For example, we have delivered our services to Standard Bodies: in SA (SABS), Botswana (BBS), Nigeria (NBS), Namibia (NBS). Have carried out training in many areas and centres in and outside of SA, in Gaborone, Nairobi, Lagos, Abuja, Accra, Maseru.
Our main focus has been our quality management systems courses with an extremely wide range of clientele: Government, provincial and municipal organisations, NGOs, and all types of industry and commerce: SAPS, SANDF, Department of International Affairs, Road Accident Fund, CIDB (Construction Industry Development Board), Gauteng Central services, City of Cape Town, SA Reserve Bank, SA Mint, Eskom – Head Office & many of the Power Stations, Nelson Mandela Children’s Fund, Church groups, Universities (UNISA, TUT, VUT, UJ) all 7 OEMs (Automotive manufacturers) and many of their Tier 1 and Tier 2 suppliers, the mines – Gold, Platinum, Copper, Coal, diamond, local and in Central Africa and many of their suppliers; Chemical companies – AeL, Sasol, Safripol, Construction companies – WBHO, Group 5, LTA Grinaker; process industries - drug manufacturers, ABI, Inbev; packaging and beverage companies, Nampak, Bevcan; Service organisations – Banks, insurance companies, Telecommunications – Telkom, MTN, Vodacom, IT companies, medical – hospitals, pathology laboratories, medical equipment manufacturers.
With our problems solving courses (SixSigma, Global 8D) we have also had a wide variety of customers such as Metro rail signal department, Virgin Active, Pick n Pay, chemical and plastic companies, automotive suppliers, engineering companies, equipment suppliers to the mines, gold mines, and many many others.
Thank you for the past 30 years and to the next 30 years!